Now that we have a little background knowledge how can we be practical in its application and where do we begin? Let us start with eating right for diabetes. Emphasis is given to eating plans as opposed to diets. The reason for this is a diet is done for a short period and is usually rigid and therefore intolerable to maintain for greater lengths of time. Eating plans are lifetime changes that are maintained or modified without stopping. Eating plans tend be less rigid as adjustments from less desirable eating habits are made gradually but for diabetics gradual adjustments might be a little to slow depending on the nature of the condition. With that said the first phase eating plan is not meant to be for the long term but is intended too jump start healthy habits while encouraging weight loss. Careful consideration has been given about the necessity to jump start your diabetes reversal protocols. Dramatically reducing the consumption of inflammatory foods and ensuring equalized and stable blood sugar is imperative from the start. As you move from phase one to phase two the restrictions will be relaxed and more emphasis will be placed on establishing an eating plan for life while seeking diversity in your food choices.
This initial phase will usually last for 4-6 weeks depending on your needs and should consist of meals that are 1,000-1,250 calories per day (caloric intake should be adjusted higher if you are involved in strenuous work or activities).
● Choose organic fruits, vegetables and meats as often as possible. The chemicals from herbicides, pesticides and fungicides in addition to growth hormones, antibiotics and grain fed cattle all causes toxic build up and inflammation in the body. Neither of these conditions are conducive to reversing diabetes and actually helps to promote it.
● Meats should be the leanest cuts since animal fats store toxins you do not want in your body.
● Clean pure water is the preferred drink (at least 2 quarts daily) with occasional tea or coffee during the day. Coffee and tea should be made with clean pure water and only lightly sweetened with stevia.
● Absolutely no artificial sweeteners. In addition to slowing your metabolism artificial sweeteners are broken down into toxic substances that increase inflammation thwarting your efforts to reverse the diabetes condition.
● A high quality fiber should be consumed daily. Fiber slows the absorption of carbohydrates which helps maintain level blood sugar.
● If you experience light-headedness increase water consumption and consume high quality fiber with every meal
● Any listed fruit eaten between meals should be consumed with fiber.
● Do not consume all of your bread and fruit ration at the same time. This would have the potential to elevate blood sugar levels too rapidly.
● Food from one day cannot be saved and eaten on the next. Maintaining the same number of calories and the correct proportion of foods to blood glucose ratios is imperative.
● Meat variation: Occasionally you may substitute 3 1/2 ounces fat-free cottage cheese or one whole egg and three egg whites for a meat portion.
● Eat only the meats listed and be sure all fat is trimmed by the butcher before purchase.
● A list of approved foods will be given to you. If it is not listed do not eat it in any quantity.
● Consume only fresh white fish low in mercury (Tongol tuna, cod, haddock, wild caught tilapia, white fish or whiting)
● Fiber will be an integral and extremely important aspect of this entire protocol (phase one and two). It is imperative that you find a quality fiber that is natural and works without chemicals or being harsh.
● Salad dressing cannot contain any oil. The light use of balsamic vinaigrettes is recommended.
● A sweetener can be used sparingly and the only one allowed is stevia.
● The only allowable dairy is fat-free cottage cheese. All other dairy must be avoided.
● All meat must be broiled or boiled
● Vegetables must be raw or steamed
● The juice of one lemon is allowed for all purposes (seasoning, cooking, etc)
● A small amount of salt, pepper, vinegar, garlic and spices (e.g. thyme, parsley, sage, turmeric, rosemary, basil, etc.) can be used for seasoning but absolutely no butter, oil or dressings of any kind
● Convection ovens would be very helpful (microwave as little as possible or not at all)
● No creams, synthetic oils, chemical based astringents or lotions should be used on your face, skin, or body during this program. This will allow the body to take a break from xenoestrogens and other chemicals found in personal care products that create inflammation in the body. If you need a moisturizer use extra virgin coconut oil.
● Get a pedometer. You should be walking at least 10,000 steps per day every day.
The next article will contain the approved foods list for phase one along with a helpful sample eating plan.